Watchman Watchman

I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at My mouth, and give them warning from Me.
Watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise and anoint the shield.
Make ready for defense.
For thus hath the L-rd said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he sees.
The sight needed to be announced to the prophet by the watchman, unless the watchman is on watch.
A lion: My lord, I stand continually upon the watchtower in the daytime, and I am set in my ward whole nights:
A lion - rather, "(The watchman) cried, I am as a lion"; so as is understood (62:5; Ps 11:1). The point of comparison to "a lion" is in Rev. 10:3, the loudness of the cry. But here it is rather his vigilance. The lion's eyelids are short, so that, even when asleep, he seems to be on the watch, awake; hence he was painted on doors of Temples as the symbol of watchfulness, guarding the place.
Watchman, what of the night? Watchman, what of the night?
He is to announces future events which he sees in prophetic vision.
The watchman said, The morning cometh, and also the night: if Ye will inquire, inquire Ye: return, come.
Reply of the prophet, the morning (prosperity) cometh, and (soon after follows) the night (adversity).
Speak to the children of your people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman:

If the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.
Night watches:
Six to nine p.m.
Nine p.m. to midnight.
Midnight to three a.m.
Three a.m. to six a.m.
Will you be His watchman?

No comments: