Kinsman-Redeemer

[Ps. 108:6] That thy beloved may be delivered: save with thy right hand, and answer me. [7] God hath spoken in his holiness; I will rejoice, I will divide Shechem, and mete out the valley of Succoth. [8] Gilead is mine; Manasseh is mine; Ephraim also is the strength of mine head; Judah is my lawgiver; [9] Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe; over Philistia will I triumph. [10] Who will bring me into the strong city? who will lead me into Edom? [11] Wilt not thou, O God, who hast cast us off? and wilt not thou, O God, go forth with our hosts? [12] Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man. These verses are basically a repetition of Psalm 60:5-12. Prophetically, they represent an overview of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. These verses will ultimately be fulfilled as the Messianic Era develops. The processes for their fulfillment are underway today. Schechem (Nablus) represents an area in Northern Israel occupied since the Six Day War in 1967. It is a part of that territory once known as the West Bank. Gilead is a mountainous area east of the Jordan River Valley. It lies in the territory of Northern Jordan. Half the tribe of Manasseh lived in the Gilead region, and the other half, along with Ephraim, lived in the area around Shechem. All of this, writes David, will one day be given to Israel and Judah, for Judah, he said, is my lawgiver. Verse 9 puts a prophetic claim upon Moab, Edom, and Philistia. Moab and Edom represent the territory of modern Jordan, south of the capital city, Amman. Philistia, on the other hand, may represent not only the acquisition of Gaza Strip, but also a victory over the militant Palestinian Liberation Organization. Moab is my washpot, said washpot, said the L-rd – indicating a boiling cauldron. It may refer to a coming conflict between Israel and Jordan. Over Edom will I cast out my shoe, may be a reference to the Mosaic covenant wherein a kinsman-redeemer has the option to restore the land of a brother in need. If he refused, his shoe is removed in the presence of the town council. Since the children of Esau (twin brother to Jacob) consistently refused to help the Jews in those early centuries it appears that G-d will refuse to redeem Edom. G-d’s shoe is removed as a testimony against them. The offspring of Edom may comprise at least part of the Palestinians of this generation. The PLO are actually fighting to deprive Israel of its Promise Land. The law of the casting off the shoe may be a prophecy that Israel’s cousins will fall under G-d’s judgment for their unkind actions. In fact, the Jewish remnant will occupy Edom’s ancient capital city of Petra during the last half of the Tribulation Period. Who will bring me the strong city? Who will lead me into Edom? This verse seems to refer to the fight of the 144,000 Jews who will witness the abomination of desolation perpetrated by the antichrist. The strong city must surely represent the ancient capital of Edom. The rose-red city of Petra carved out of solid rock high in the mountains of Edom may well be destination of the 144,000.

No comments: