Wonderfully Made

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made
[Job 10:8] Thine hands have made me and fashioned me together round about;
How Job eyes G-d as his Creator and preserver, and describes his dependence upon Him as the author and upholder of his being. That G-d made us, He, and not our parents, who were only the instruments of His power and providence in our production. He made us, and not we ourselves. His hands have made and fashioned these bodies of ours and every part of them. The soul also, which animates the body, is His gift.
[9] …thou hast made me as the clay…
The clay proves that the reference here is, not so much to the perishable nature of the materials, as to their wonderful fashioning by the Divine Potter. As a potter makes a vessel of clay; so this may note both the frailty of man's nature, which of itself decays and perishes, the excellency of the Divine artifice commended from the meanness of the materials.
We are earthen vessels, mean in our original, and soon broken in pieces, made as the clay. Let not therefore the thing formed say unto him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? We must not be proud of our bodies, because the matter is from the earth, yet not dishonor our bodies, because the mould and shape are from the Divine Wisdom.
[10] Hast thou not poured me out as milk, and curdled me like cheese?
Images here to generation is the true notion, the formation of human bodies in the womb is described by an elegant similitude, Thou hast poured me out like milk, which is coagulated into cheese).
[11] Thou hast clothed me with skin and flesh, and hast fenced me with bones and sinews.
Though we come into the world naked, yet the body is itself both clothed and armed. The skin and flesh are its clothing; the bones and sinews are its armor, not offensive, but defensive. The vital parts, the heart and lungs, are thus clothed, not to be seen--thus fenced, not to be hurt. The admirable structure of human bodies is an illustrious instance of the wisdom, power, and goodness of the Creator.
[12] Thou hast granted me life and favour, and thy visitation hath preserved my spirit.
The soul is the life, the soul is the man, and this is the gift of G-d: Thou hast granted me life, breathed into me the breath of life, without which the body would be but a worthless carcass. G-d is the Father of spirits: He made us living souls, and endued us with the power of reason. He gave us life and favour, and life is a favour - a great favour, more than meat, more than raiment - a distinguishing favour, a favour that puts us into a capacity of receiving other favors, such as nourishment by the breast, education, knowledge, and instruction.
That G-d maintains us. Having lighted the lamp of life, He does not leave it to burn upon its own stock, but continually supplies it with fresh oil.
Thy visitation has preserved my spirit, kept me alive, protected me from the adversaries of life, the death we are in the midst of and the dangers we are continually exposed to, and blessed me with all the necessary supports of life and the daily supplies it needs and craves. He has given me has given me the air I breathe.
G-d made me and maintains me, and therefore I will serve Him and submit to Him.
[13] And these things hast thou hid in thine heart: I know that this is with thee.
G-d hast had many gracious purposes concerning us which He hast not made known; but His visitations and mercy are sufficient proofs of kindness towards us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good word

Anonymous said...

This is a lot of what trying to say to you about the wounded bird. Does it make more sense now?
L,
K