Issachar's Testimony

Issachar’s testimony, the fifth son of Jacob and Leah. The sinless child of hire for mandrakes, he appeals for simplicity.
Calling his sons and said to them: “Hearken and give ear to the words of him who is beloved of G-d. I was born by way of hire for sweet-sweet-smelling apples mandrakes, gotten from Rachel to help my mother to enhance having children, on account of the hire I was called Issachar. Though my mother desired them, she ate them not, but offered them in the house of the L-rd, presenting them to the priest of the Most High.
My father blessed me, for he saw that I walked in rectitude before Him.
And I was not a busybody in my doings, nor envious and malicious against my neighbour.
I never slandered any one, nor did I censure the life of any man, walking as I did in singleness of eye.
For on all the poor and oppressed I bestowed the good things of the earth in the singleness of my heart.
And now, my children, walk in singleness of your heart, for I have seen in it all that is well-pleasing to G-d.
The single-minded man coveted not gold, he overreached not his neighbour, he longest not after manifold dainties, he delighted not in varied apparel.
He doeth not desire to live a long life, but only waiteth for the will of G-d.
For he walketh in singleness of soul, and beholdeth all things in uprightness of heart, shunning eyes make evil through the error of the world, lest he should see the perversion of any of the commandments of G-d.
Keep, therefore, my children, the Law of G-d, and get singleness, and walk in guilelessness, not playing the busybody with the business of your neighbour, but love,
G-d and your neighbour have compassion on the poor and weak and offering up gifts to G-d with thanksgiving.
As ye see, I am a hundred and twenty-six years old and not conscious of committing any sin. Except my wife I have not known woman, I love G-d; likewise also every man with all my heart.”
And having said these things, he commanded his sons that they should carry him up to Hebron, and bury him there in the cave with his fathers. And he stretched out his feet and died, at a good old age; with every limb sound, and with strength unabated, he slept the eternal sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this sounds a lot like another one I just read - did they collaborate and copy each other or had a simler testemony?