Joseph's Testimony

Joseph’s testimony, the eleventh son of Jacob and Rachel, the beautiful and beloved.
When he was about to die he called his sons and his brethren together, and said to them:
“I have seen in my life envy and death, yet I went not astray, but persevered in the truth of G-d.
I was cast into prison, I was beaten, I was mocked; but G-d granted me to find mercy in the sight of the keeper of the prison. For G-d does not forsake them that fear Him, neither in darkness, nor in bonds, nor in tribulations, nor in necessities, but in all those things does He give protection, and in divers ways does He comfort, though for a little space He departs to try the inclination of the soul.
Endurance is a mighty charm, and patience gives many good things. May you learn that the wickedness of the ungodly has no power over them that worship G-d with chastity, so if you follow after chastity and purity with patience and prayer, with fasting in humility of heart, G-d will dwell among you because He loves chastity; and for the sake of your chastity, every way you are lifted up, whether in deed, or in word, or in thought.
I did not exalt myself in my mind; although I was a child, I had the fear of G-d in my heart; for I knew that all things would pass away.
When I was being sold, I refrained from telling the Ishmalelites that I was a son of Jacob, a great man and a mighty. The Ishmalelites would ask me if I was a slave, and I would answer that I was a home-born slave, that I might not put my brethren to shame, but that I was their slave. And they sold me in Egypt, for eighty pieces of gold, so that I would not be found in their hands, and they feared my father, for they had heard roomers of a son missing.
Pentephris, a merchant who was the third in rank of the officers of Pharaoh, bought me and I was with him three months and five days. Do you see, my children, what great things I endured that I should not put my brethren to shame. Do you also love one another, and with long-suffering hide one another’s faults. For G-d delights in the unity of brethren and in the purpose of a heart that takes pleasure in love.
I exalted not myself among them in arrogance because of my worldly glory, but I was among them as one of the least. If you walk in the Commandments of G-d He will exalt you there, and will bless you with good things forever and ever. And if any one seeks to do evil unto you, do well unto him, and pray for him, and you shall be redeemed of G-d from all evil.
Out of my humility and longsuffering I took unto wife the daughter of the priest of Heliopolis. A hundred talents of gold were given me with her; and G-d made them to serve me. He gave me also beauty as a flower beyond the beautiful ones of Israel; and He preserved me unto old age in strength and in beauty, because I was like in all things unto Jacob.
Hear also the vision which I saw. There were twelve harts feeding; nine were first dispersed over all the earth, and likewise also the three. And I saw that from Judah was born a virgin wearing a linen garment, and from her was born a lamb without spot. On his left hand there was as it were a lion. All the beasts rushed against him, and the lamb overcame them, and destroyed them and trod them under foot. And because of him the angels and men rejoiced, and all the land. And these things shall come to pass in their season, in the last days.
Do you therefore observe the Commandments of G-d and honor Levi and Judah; for from them shall arise unto you the Lamb of G-d, who takes away the sin of the world, one who saves all the Gentiles and Israel. For His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, which shall not pass away; but my kingdom among you shall come to an end.
For I know that after my death the Egyptians will afflict you, but G-d will avenge you and will bring you into that which He promised to your fathers.
You shall carry up my bones with you; for when my bones are being taken up thither, G-d will be with you in light, and Beliar shall be in darkness with the Egyptians. And carry you up Asenath your mother to the Hippodrome, and near Rachel your mother bury her.”
And when he had said these things he stretched out his feet, and died at a good old age. And all Israel mourned for him, and all Egypt, with a great mourning.

No comments: