Simeon's Testimony

Simeon’s testimony:
The second son of Jacob and Leah, the strong man, he becomes jealous of Joseph and is an instigator in the plot against him. The words he spoke to his sons before he died, in the 120th year of his life, at which time Joseph, his brother, died:
“I will declare unto you what things I have in my heart. I was born of Jacob as my father’s second son; and my mother Leah called me Simeon, because G-d had heard her prayer. I was jealous in many things of Joseph, because my father loved him beyond all. I set my mind against him to destroy him, because the prince of deceit sent forth the spirit of jealousy and blinded my mind, so that I regarded him not as a brother, nor did I spare even Jacob my father. Judah, my brother, sold him to the Ishmalelites, but on hearing this I was exceedingly wroth against Judah in that he let him go away alive. For five months I continued wrathful against him.
But G-d restrained me, and withheld from me the power of my hands, for my right hand was half withered for seven days. I repented and wept and besought the L-rd G-d that my hand might be restored and that I might hold aloof from all pollution and envy and from all folly.
Now, my children, hearken unto me and beware of the spirit of deceit and envy. For envy ruleth over the whole mind of a man, and suffereth him neither to eat nor to drink, nor to do any good thing. Two years, therefore, I afflicted my soul with fasting in the fear of the L-rd and learnt that deliverance from envy cometh by the fear of G-d. Henceforth he sympathiseth with him whom he envied and forgiveth those who are hostile to him, and so ceaseth from his envy.
Do ye also, my children, love each one his brother with a good heart; and the spirit of envy will withdraw from you. For this maketh savage the soul and destroyeth the body; it causeth anger and war in the mind, stirreth up unto deeds of blood, leadeth the mind into frenzy, causeth tumult to the soul and trembling to the body. Make your hearts good before G-d and your ways straight before men, and ye shall find grace before G-d and men.
Obey Levi and Judah and be not lifted up against these two tribes, for from them shall arise unto you the salvation of G-d. For the L-rd shall raise up from Levi a High Priest and from Judah a King, G-d and man. He shall save all the Gentiles and the race of Israel. For the L-rd G-d shall appear on earth, and Himself save all men. Then shall all the spirits of deceit be given to be trodden under foot, and men shall rule over wicked spirits. Now pass these commands down to your children, that they may observe them throughout their generations.”
The sons laid him in a wooden coffin, to take up his bones to Hebron, secretly during a war of the Egyptians to rest with his father. They were in Egypt until the day of their departure by the hand of Moses.

No comments: