Zebulun's Testimony

Zebulun’s testimony, the sixth son of Jacob and Leah, the inventor and humanitarian. What he learned as a result of the plot against Joseph. Here are a copy of the words he enjoined on his sons before he died 114th year of his life, two years after the death of Joseph.
“I was born a good gift to my parents, for when I was born my father was increased very exceedingly, both in flocks and herds, when with the straked rods he had his portion. I am not conscious that I have sinned all my days, save in thought. Nor yet do I remember that I have done any iniquity, except the sin of ignorance which I committed against Joseph; for I covenanted with my brethren not to tell my father what had been done. But I wept in secret many days on account of Joseph, for I feared my brethren, because they had all agreed that if any one should declare the secret, he should be slain.
They sold him to the Ishmalites, for his price I had no share, my children. But Simeon and Gad and six other of our brethren took the price of Joseph, and brought sandals for themselves, and their wives, and their children, saying:
We will not eat of it, for it is the price of our brother’s blood, but we will assuredly tread it under foot, because he said that he would be king over us, and so let us see what will become of his dreams. And ye have all been told the story of Egypt and his triumph, concluding his dreams.
And now, my children, keep the commands of G-d, and to show mercy to your neighbors, and to have compassion towards all, not towards men only, but also towards beast. For all this thing’s sake G-d blessed me, and when all my brethren were sick, I escaped without sickness, for G-d knoweth the purposes of each. Have, therefore, compassion in your hearts because even as a man doeth to his neighbour, even so also will G-d do to him. For the sons of my brethren were sicken and were dying on account of Joseph, because they showed not mercy in their hearts; but my sons were preserved without sickness, as ye know.
And when I was in the land of Canaan, by the sea-coast, I made a catch of fish for Jacob my father; and when many were choked in the sea, I continued unhurt. I was the first to make a boat to sail upon the sea, for G-d gave me understanding and wisdom therein.
Have, yourselves also, my children, compassion towards every man with mercy, that G-d also may have compassion and mercy upon you.
Because also in the last days G-d will send His compassion on the earth, and wheresoever He finds bowels of mercy He dwelleth in him. For in the degree in which a man hath compassion upon his neighbors, in the same degree hath G-d upon him. And after these things shall there arise unto you the L-rd G-d Himself, the light of righteousness, and ye shall return unto your land. And ye shall see Him in Jerusalem, for His name’s sake.
And now, my children, grieve not that I am dying, nor be cast down in that I am coming to my end. For I shall rise again in the midst of you, as a ruler in the midst of his sons’ and I shall rejoice in the midst of my tribe, as many as shall keep the Law of G-d, and the commandments of Zebulun their father.
But upon the ungodly shall G-d bring eternal fire, and destroy them throughout all generations. But I am now hastening away to my rest, as did also my fathers. But do ye fear the L-rd our G-d with all your strength all the days of your life.”
And when he had said these things he fell asleep, at a good old age. And his sons laid him in a wooden coffin. And afterwards they carried him up and buried him in Hebron.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

want to live till 114?