Levi's Testimony

Levi’s testimony; the third son of Jacob and Leah. A mystic and dreamer of dreams, a prophet, speaks to his sons the things he ordained and all that they should do, and what things should befall them until the day of judgment. He was sound in health when he called them to him; for it had been revealed to him that he should die. “I, Levi, was born in Haran, and I came with my father to Shechem. When I was young, about twenty years of age, when, with Simeon, I wrought vengeance on Hamor for our sister Dinah. And when I was feeding the flocks in Abel-Maul, the spirit of G-d came upon me, and I was grieving for the race of the sons of men, and I prayed to the Father that I might be saved. There fell upon me a sleep, and I was taken up into the heavens. An angel said to me, Marvel not at this, for thou shalt stand near the L-rd, and shalt be His minister, and shalt declare His mysteries to men, and shall proclaim concerning Him that shall redeem Israel. And by thee and Judah shall G-d appear among men, saving every race of men. And from G-d’s portion shall be thy life, and He shall be thy field and vineyard, and fruits, gold, and silver.
Hear, therefore, regarding the heaves which have been shown to thee:
The lowest is for this cause gloomy unto thee, in that it beholds all the unrighteous deeds of men. And it has fire, snow, and ice made ready for the Day of Judgment, in the righteous judgments of G-d; for in it are all the spirits of the retributions for vengeance on men.
And in the second are the hosts of the armies which are ordained for the Day of Judgment, to work vengeance on spirits of deceit and of Beliar.
And above them are the holy ones.
In the highest of all dwelleth the Great Glory, far above all holiness.
In the heaven next to it are the archangels, who minister and make propitiation to G-d for all the sins of ignorance of the righteous.
In the heaven below this are the angels that bear answers to the angels of the presence of G-d.
And the heavens next to this are thrones and dominions, in which always they offer praises to G-d.
When, therefore, G-d looketh upon us, all of us are shaken; yea, the heavens, and the earth, and the abysses are shaken at the presence of His majesty. But the sons of men, having no perception of these things, sin and provoke the Most High.
Now therefore, know that G-d shall execute judgment upon the sons of men. Because when the rocks are being rent, and the sun quenched, and the waters dried up, and the fire cowering, and all creation troubled, and the invisible spirits melting away, and Hades taketh spoils through the visitations of the Most High, men will be unbelieving and persist in their iniquity. On this account with punishment shall they be judged.
Separate thee from iniquity, and that thou shouldst become to Him a son, and a servant, and a minister of His presence.
And the angel said to me: Levi, thy seed shall be dividied into three offices, for a sign of the glory of the L-rd who is to come. And the first portion shall be great; yea, greater than it shall none be. The second shall be in the priesthood. And the third shall be called by a new name, because a king shall arise in Judah, and shall establish a new priesthood, after the fashion of the Gentiles. And His presence is beloved, as a prophet of the Most High, of the seed of Abraham our father.
And when I awoke, I understood this dream and hid it in my heart. And after two days I and Judah went up with our father Jacob to Isaac our father’s father to be blessed. When we came to Bethel, my father saw a vision concerning me, that I should be their priest unto G-d. And Isaac called me continually to put me in remembrance of the Law of G-d, even as the angel of the L-rd showed unto me. And he taught me the Law of the priesthood of sacrifices, whole burnt-offerings, first-fruits, freewill-offerings and peace-offerings. And before entering into the Holy Place, bathe; and when thou offerest the sacrifice, wash; and again, when thou finishest the sacrifice, wash.
Now, therefore, observe whatsoever I command you, children; for whatsoever things I have heard from my fathers I have declared unto you. And behold I am clear from your ungodliness and transgression, which ye shall commit in the end of the ages against the Savior of the world, Messiah, acting godlessly, deceiving Israel, and stirring up against it great evils from the L-rd. The veil of the Temple shall be rent, so as not to cover your shame, and ye shall be scattered as captives among the Gentiles, as told in the book of Enoch the righteous.
Eight years old was I when I went into the land of Canaan, and 18 when I slew Shechem, and 19 when I became priest, and 28 when I took a wife and her name was Melcha. She bore me Gersam, for we were sojourners in our land; Kobath, which is, beginning of majesty and instruction. Merari, that is my bitterness because he also was like to die; and Jochebed, born in Egypt, for I was renowned then in the midst of my brethren.
I command you; fear the L-rd your G-d with your whole heart, and walk in simplicity according to all His Law. Teach your children that they may have understanding all their life, reading unceasingly the Law of G-d. For every one that knoweth the Law of G-d shall be honored, and shall not be a stranger whithersoever he goeth.
Work righteousness upon the earth, that ye may have it as a treasure in heaven. And sow good things in your souls that ye may find them in your life.
I have learnt that at the end of the ages ye will transgress against the L-rd, stretching out hands to wickedness against Him; and to all the Gentiles shall ye become a scorn. For as the heaven is purer in G-d’s sight than the earth, so also be ye, the lights of Israel, purer than all the Gentiles. But if ye be darkened through transgressions, what, therefore, will all the Gentiles do living in blindness? Yea, ye shall bring a curse upon our race, because the light of the Law which was given for to lighten every man this ye desire to destroy by teaching commandments contrary to the ordinances of G-d.
And now I have learnt that for seventy weeks ye shall go astray, and profane the priesthood, and pollute the sacrifices. And your holy places shall be laid waste even to the ground because of the deceiver.
Whereas ye have heard concerning the seventy weeks, hear also concerning the priesthood. For in each jubilee there shall be a priesthood. And in the first jubilee, the first who is anointed to the priesthood shall be great, and shall speak to G-d as to a father. And His priesthood shall be perfect with G-d, and in the day of His gladness shall He arise for the salvation of the world, and He shall execute a righteous judgment upon the earth for a multitude of days. And the knowledge of G-d shall be poured forth upon the earth, as the water of the seas. The heaves shall be opened, and from the Temple of glory shall come upon Him sanctification, with the Father’s voice as from Abraham to Isaac. And the glory of the Most High shall be uttered over Him, and the spirit of understanding and sanctification shall rest upon Him in the water. And there shall none succeed Him for all generations forever. And in His priesthood the Gentiles shall be multiplied in knowledge upon the earth, and enlightened through the grace of G-d.
Now my children, ye have heard all; choose, therefore, for yourselves either the light or the darkness, either the Law of G-d or the works of Beliar.”
And thus Levi ceased commanding his sons; and he stretched out his feet on the bed, and was gathered to his fathers, after he had lived a 137 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting - wish there had been more explanation about a priesthood for every jubilee