Death Wish

[Job 6:11] What is my strength, that I should hope? and what is mine end, that I should prolong my life?
[What is my strength - I can never suppose that my strength will be restored; and, were that possible, have I any comfortable prospect of a happy termination of my life? Had I any prospect of future happiness, I might well bear my present ills; but the state of my body and the state of my circumstances preclude all hope.
What strength have I, so as to warrant the hope of restoration to health?
What is death to me? It is not terrible, but comfortable.
That - As desirous of death as Job was, yet he never offered to put an end to his own life. Such a thought will never be entertained by any that have the least regard to the Law of G-d and nature. How uneasy so ever the soul's confinement in the body may be, it must by no means break the prison, but wait for a fair discharge.
I should hope? You see how I am weakened and brought low, how unable I am to grapple with my distempers, and therefore what reason have I to hope that I should out-live them, and see better days? Is my strength the strength of stones? Are my muscles brass and my sinews steel? No, they are not, and therefore I cannot hold out always in this pain and misery, but sink under the load.
What is mine end? - The weakening of my strength in the way will certainly be the shortening of my days, Ps. 102:23. What is our strength? It is depending strength. We have no more strength than G-d gives us; for in Him we live and move. It is decaying strength; we are daily spending the stock, and by degrees it will be exhausted. It is disproportionable to the encounters we may meet with; what is our strength to be depended upon, when two or three days' sickness will make us weak as water?
What end can be answered by living, or desiring a long life?
I should prolong my life? All things considered, we have no reason to reckon upon the long continuance of life in this world. Instead of expecting a long life, we have reason to wonder that we have lived up till then and to feel that we are hastening off quickly.That he had no reason to desire any such thing: What comfort can I promise myself in life, comparable to the comfort I promise myself in death? Those who, through grace, are ready for another world cannot see much to invite their stay in this world, or to make them fond of it. That, if it be G-d's will, we may do him more service and may get to be fitter and riper for heaven, is an end for which we may wish the prolonging of life, in subservience to our chief end; but, otherwise, what can we propose to ourselves in desiring to tarry here? The longer life is the more grievous will its burdens be (Ecc. 12:1), and the longer life is the less pleasant will be its delights, 2 Sam. 19:34, 35. We have already seen the best of this world, but we are not sure that we have seen the worst of it.]

No comments: