Reminiscing

Of days of old.
[Job 6:13] Is not my help in me? and is wisdom driven quite from me?
My help is all in myself; for I was abandoned to myself, and, alas! That is perfect weakness: and my subsistence, all that is real, stable, and permanent, came from the Father. Have I not the use of my reason, with which, I thank G-d, I can help myself, for with G-d all things are possible.
Do you think wisdom is driven quite from me, and that I am gone distracted? No, I am not mad, most noble friends, but speak the words of truth and soberness. The good thing about your past is you can leave it behind and move forward. This is want I am symbolically attempting to finally do. It has been 55 years since I was seven years old, when I first encountered hardships that seemed to be a way of life for me. Five is the number of grace so now I will have double grace and I traveled 669.38 miles, taking eleven hours to get to my destiny. Engaging to replace the worse times of my youth with new memories and returning with the peace that passes all understanding. This is a scary adventure for I must open closed doors and walk through, towards the Light. Strength and maturity is now on my side and as I press forward were hope and dreams can be restored.
The first place I went to is in the facility of the apartment we had lived in at the age of 4. The building was gone but the fire hydrant was still there. At this place I was constantly lock into a small clothes closet for hours on end by a babysitter. I must have been an unruly child and it was easier for her to keep me pin down. There was a window that was attached to the floor so I would sit and look out, seeing only the fire hydrant in the street light. It was a place of contact and staring at it too long it seemed to move around, and the clothes became scary also, I did not cry for I did not want anyone to know they hurt me or that I was a sissy. I dropped off my fear of closed in places and remembered the court house across the street that I use to play in its yard.
Driving to the little green house that we had moved to when I had turn five. This was a happy place for me for awhile. Here I remembered little gargoyles coming out of the closet poking me with long needles. Of course I did not learn what they were until I became an adult and had seen a picture of them. The babysitter freaked out and my mother said I had quite an imagination, but I say it happened to this day.
Our birth father came to visit, my sisters welcomed him with open arms but I hid behind my mother’s skirt. No stranger could get close to me for I had already built a wall around.
I walked to the top of the hill were I could see (in my minds eye), the man walking up the road carrying a baseball bat. He would become my step-father and would use that club in the future to beat me. I drop of the demons of the night and shook off the dust from the feet. The good memory was I had a little boyfriend at that time and my first kiss.
Mother married and we moved to a house by the railroad tracks by the time I was seven. That is when I gave up on life and a death wish was developed that stayed with me. My step father was a very abusive man in all the ways possible, life was hell on earth. I was the primary target for I had a smart mouth and did not conform very well. After a beating with blood running, I would turn around and say “is that the best you can do?” Not a smart thing to say, but pain was the name of the game and no one could hurt me if I did not allow it. I stop crying completely, all emotions were to be held at check. Tears my run from my eyes but no sound would come out. I had trained myself so well that I don’t know how to cry anymore. G-d opened the valve when I turn forty and forgot to close it again, but the emotions stay inside. Too many unpleasant things happened in my seventh year – I panic when I see a seven year old, if they can live through the seventh year they will make it. I had no friends ever, for I could not take any home if I had any. I became a loner and never seemed to out grow it. Mother said not to air out your laundry, and with my big mouth to stay silent meant to stay away from people.
It is at seven I started smoking, stealing the step-fathers cigarettes thinking I was getting even with him (well - I was a child). When caught he insulted me saying I did not know how to inhale and it took me a week of puking up my guts but I learned. It became my relieve in stress, the only thing I could count on for it was everyman for them self. Adults would say I had old hollow eyes, as if no one was at home; but I was in there, they just couldn’t see me. Children were to be seen not heard back then.
At this place I drop off a large suitcase of baggage that I was tired of dragging around. I took with me the fun times of playing on the railroad tracks; I collected rocks, sticks, bugs, and even made me a tee-pee to hide in. Another good place was the corn cob pile by the tracks that I would climb and slide down on a piece of cardboard, until Mother found out and had them remove for the pile for it was to dangerous.
We moved to an apartment over a store at the age of 9. It had a long open staircase to enter from the alley. I played in the ally chasing mice into a wood pile until I step on a nail that went right through my foot. The pile was removed also. Then I gathered up pop bottles and took them to the front of the store to cash in for a penny a bottle that was back then when you could buy penny candy. As I said I wasn’t too bright of a child for it was the store that my Mother worked at and my candy supply got stopped.
One more final move in this town was down the alley next to a harness shop, with a yard to play in, now I was 10. Nothing has changed since I was seven, but then I did not know there was any different way to live. We had a belt hanging on the wall (like a picture) it was used for beatings, once it miserably disappeared. Now we have four children in the family but my name was called out. It was replaced with a thicker, longer one and I got the use of it right away. You know beatings are not so bad, you get use to it, blood runs free. I learned it was easer to take it than to watch another get whipped. So I started volunteering to take their places, I was tough and have a high tolerance to pain. He didn’t care as long as he got out his frustration and I still was not broken so it was a contest between us.
Many more things happen well living here, at the age of thirteen he disappeared for awhile. With a break in the system I got stronger and made up my mind that enough was enough. When he returns I will take charge and one of us was going down. We moved out of state before I would set eyes on him again.
One thing about victims, they seem to wear a sign on their foreheads that say: ‘I am an easy target’ for they come out of the woodwork. I was taught to do as told, ask no questions, and just go with the moment. Do we carry their demons on us? Or do we develop our own? What affects your childhood will affect your adult hood if one does not deal with the issues.
Here I drop the death wish, I couldn’t find anything good to take with me. Returning to the hotel I showered and scrubbed myself clean. Tomorrow will be a fun day for I am going to a wooded park to walk the trails, sit by a lake and lesson to that small tiny voice of hope and happiness.
The place was not the same as I remembered, life goes on, and changes were made, it only existed in my mind; to be renewed to the present time, relaxing and enjoying the scenery. Doors were open and doors were close, pieces of the puzzle came together. Going home with less baggage and free from old demons, now what I make of life will be my choice as I keep in step with my true Father. Maybe even I will make a friend or two, possibly becoming a nice person – well we will see were the trail leads.
Those who have grace in them, who have the evidence of it and have it in exercise, have wisdom in them, which will be their help in the worst of times. The fear of G-d, which is wisdom, true grace in the heart, which, when once implanted, can never be driven out.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to tell you it was a honor and a privelige to have read your book THE NAKED TRUTH. I'm sure it took alot of courage to write it all down. It's great to see a person who has been through so much come through it all as a better person! I admire your courage and respect your personality immensly.
Joann G.

Anonymous said...

Irish, I think you have something tere! I read your book many years ago, this piece reminded me of it. Once I had started it I couldn't put it down. It made me laugh and cry.
F.W.

Anonymous said...

It takes a lot for anyone to open up with feelings of being abused. I hope that anyone that has ever been through this, reads this. They'll know in time they'll be fine, because your fine and it'll give hope to others.
Trish

Anonymous said...

I loved it. You have such away of expressing feelings. I give you credit for growing into the person you are today. I admire you. I related to parts.
Cher

Anonymous said...

Preciaces Siser in Christ,
What a honor you bestomed on me by permitting me the privilege of seeing who you really are. Dearest one, the continuing scripture that was evident from the very beginning to the conclussion was John 4 (The Samaritan woman).
Our Lord has been most close to yu all through the dry deseert and rocky tensins. Each day my sweet, that you seek His will in your life you will also look over the horrible horrible years and know truly that only the Hand of God and the prayers of the saints have kept you. It is quite evident that the enemy was intent on destroying your soul, as well as your body; but praise Jesus,He said in Matthew 10:26m words which are yours to keep close to your heart.
God has indeed blessed you with a variety of special talent and beautiful gifts! Our prayers continue with your daily walk.
Mariam

Anonymous said...

My friend you have filled a big void in my old life. Our lives have been so much a like. We both understand the pain of touch. You are a very special person and at 81 years old I can love and be loved, it is no longer a four letter word to me. Gold and silver have I none but all I have I give you, my love, my prayers,and my remaining strength. And thanks to the glory of God it now comes back to me, all this love I have stored up for years.
Your twin Soul
Little Eva

Anonymous said...

Your eyes showed me several things, you are a very sweet, kind loving person. I have been searching for that one true friend, then I met you! Our past brought us together and we can share together without being afraid of being judges as a none person.
I have always wanted to be accepted as me, you have looked past the other shell and seen who I am; so I let you peek into my innerself with your healing touch.
I really love you and that is not lip service.
L.E.

Anonymous said...

MJ. Let us henceforth take our tears in this matter and sow them into the Kingdom where they shall reap for joy!
Joy for the broken-hearted
Joy for the down-trodden
Joy for the neglected and rejected
Joy for the abuse.
Always, always remember that you are accepted by the only One who really matters.
I join with Him in my expression of love to you!
Shalem
Sister in the Lord

Kristina said...

looks like you got lots of friends out there. Heck, we have been closer than anything for how many years now?
Great blog.
Love you,
Kristina

Anonymous said...

In case I don't talk to you before you leave on your trip; May G-d bless you with dry roads, round firm tires, a gas tank that never goes empty, and a peaceful calm the entire trip.
Shalom
Deb