Compassionate Shepherd 2004

What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
The L-rd is my Shepherd; it implies a profound yet practical working relationship between a human being and his Maker. The Father's deep concern about me as a particular person gives me great purpose and enormous meaning as I am passing though this temporary life. The Good Shepherd is gentle, kind, intelligent, brave, and selfless in His devotion to His flock, even laid down His life for them.
Sheep can struggle, starve, and suffer endless hardship. We are all like sheep that have gone astray.
There is an intimate identity involved though not apparent on the surface to the casual observer, nonetheless each one is precious. As a sheep I require attention and meticulous care. My mass mind (or mob instinct), my fear and timidity, my stubbornness and stupidity, my perverse habits are all of profound importance to Him. He calls me by name, makes me His own, and delights in caring for me. He is ever interceding for me; He is ever guiding me by His gracious Spirit; He is ever working on my behalf to ensure that I will benefit from His care. He restoreth my soul when I fall into temptation. Liken unto a cast down sheep, one that has turned over on its back and cannot get up again by itself, I sometimes lie in frustration, but my Shepherd leaves the other 99 and comes to my aid.
The Good Shepherd keeps a watchful eye to find the missing one. His delight is not only in restoring the fallen one back to its feet and back to the flock, but also back to Himself. Little by little I will regain my equilibrium and begin to walk steadily and surely. By and by I will dash away to rejoin the others, set free from my fears and frustrations, given another chance to live a little longer for He once again restoreth my soul.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me is the treatment I will receive from my Master’s expert, loving hands. I enjoy all the fringe benefits of being under skilled and loving management.

No comments: